Re: Can't log in as anything but root via SSH

From: "Yarin" <yarin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "ssh securityfocus" <secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01/18/2010 01:53 PM
Subject: Can't log in as anything but root via SSH
Sent by: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all,

I'm trying to get SSH to work with a non-root user in a VPS
Container running CentOS 5.3. But with no luck.
I can log in to root with no problem, but no matter which way I try,
I can't log in to any normal users that I make. When I try to log in
via SSH, it always fails, and behaves exactly as if though I was
entering the wrong password. (I am entering the right one, though,
I've make sure of that)

Here I try to log into user "fmain": (with debugging view enabled)

# ssh 109.107.120.17 -l fmain -v
OpenSSH_5.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8k-fips 25 Mar 2009
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to 109.107.120.17 [109.107.120.17] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/yarin/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/yarin/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/yarin/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_4.3
debug1: match: OpenSSH_4.3 pat OpenSSH_4*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.2
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: Host '109.107.120.17' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/yarin/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-with-mic
debug1: Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more information
No credentials cache found
debug1: Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more information
No credentials cache found
debug1: Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more information
debug1: Trying private key: /home/yarin/.ssh/identity
debug1: Trying private key: /home/yarin/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home/yarin/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Next authentication method: password
fmain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
Permission denied, please try again.
fmain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
Permission denied, please try again.
fmain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password).

The debugging comments are all the same when I successfully log in
to root, except for everything beyond "root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx's
password:" of course.

I checked, and all relevent /devs (on the the remote machine) have
666 privs minimum, so that's not the problem.

The remote machine's /etc/ssh/sshd_config file looks like this:
(with comment lines stripped)

Protocol 2
SyslogFacility AUTHPRIV
PasswordAuthentication yes
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
GSSAPIAuthentication yes
GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes
UsePAM yes
AcceptEnv LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY
LC_MESSAGES
AcceptEnv LC_PAPER LC_NAME LC_ADDRESS LC_TELEPHONE LC_MEASUREMENT
AcceptEnv LC_IDENTIFICATION LC_ALL
X11Forwarding no
Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server

I even tried adding "AllowUsers root fmain" to it, and restarting
the SSH Daemon, but was no help.

From my googling, there are plenty of people with the opposite
problem (can log in, just not through root). And I tried everything
that the few who seemed to have this same problem had done.
I've exhausted my searching options and don't know where to go from
here. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help that you may be able to provide,
Yarin

Yarin,

Did you check the permissions on the users' .ssh directory? The directory
should be owned by the user and have permissions 700. The private keys and
known_hosts files should be permission 600, while the public keys and
authorized_keys should be 644.

Chris

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I am having serious difficulty getting host based authenication working with ssh
    ... I was getting the 'no more client hostkeys' when either end of the ... > ssh, even though they are under the section "*". ... > debug1: Remote: Accepted by .shosts. ... > client_user root server_user root ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: rsync backup hangs
    ... It seems this is an ssh issue...it doesn't seem to allow ... First, I CAN ssh in as root, passwordless even: ... debug1: Reading configuration data /root/.ssh/config ... debug1: channel 0: new ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: pubkey works for user: why not root ?
    ... AND to add the line "AllowUsers sean root" (multiple users can be allowed, ... debug1: Connection established. ... debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK ... debug1: Next authentication method: publickey ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: pubkey works for user: why not root ?
    ... Subject: pubkey works for user: why not root? ... debug1: Connection established. ... debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK ... debug1: Next authentication method: publickey ...
    (SSH)
  • RE: pubkey works for user: why not root ?
    ... Subject: pubkey works for user: why not root? ... debug1: Connection established. ... debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK ... for user root service ssh-connection method publickey ...
    (SSH)