Re: Reverse port forwarding (-R) seems not working

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:01:28AM +0100, Vincenzo Romano wrote:
It's not yet working though.

If I enable the GatewayPorts on the sshd_config (not ssh_config), then
no RPF works anymore on the dummy interfaces or the loopback.
They all fail with:
Warning: remote port forwarding failed for listen port 139, despite
there's no process listening on that interface and that port.

In your original example you had "user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx". If "user" is
not root then you probably don't have permissions to bind to
low-numbered ports (with or without sshd).

If that's not it, I suggest running the server in debug mode
(eg /path/to/sshd -ddde -p222 to run it on port 222), point your client
at it and see what the reason given for the bind failure is.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Remote Port Mapping
    ... [about controlling the bind address of port forwards] ... >destined to be supported by OpenSSH in the future - I haven't seen a ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: PuTTY with Cable Modem
    ... >I am unable to access a specific IP address and port number using SSH with ... >PuTTY 0.53b over a Telewest Broadband cable modem. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Anyone ever seen this?
    ... I've attempted to restart the daemon, even on a different port. ... which platform you're running it. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: RSA host keys problems with 2 different openssh servers on the samebox
    ... > We've a firewall box with one ssh running on X.X.X.X:22 and an ... > I guess that it should save the port along with the ip for each RSA host key. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Port For Control And Transfer
    ... the original question was "What port does SSH Secure ... Shell File transfer use for control and transfer?") ... transfers to a host would use a single outbound connection to tcp port 22. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)