Re: authenticated, but no prompt

I bet the machine is overloaded.. That's why you do not get a shell.. You
need to wait to come down ... Not sure if it got hacked ....

My 2 cents.

Remo

On 7/17/09 12:52 PM, "dirk ooms" <dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

until this morning I was able to ssh from my ubuntu client to my fedora
core 9 server. suddenly (without any config change on the server or the
client), I couldn't ssh anymore: I could still enter the password,
authentication seems to be ok, but no shell prompt :-(

so I am wondering what's going on here. since it is difficult to
physically access the machine, I would be very happy to receive a
suggestion for a workaround.

below is the last part of the ssh -vvv output (I replaced the real
machine name by mymachine.mydomain)

I can still ssh to other servers from my client.

cheers,
dirk

debug1: Next authentication method: password
dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
debug3: packet_send2: adding 64 (len 58 padlen 6 extra_pad 64)
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentication succeeded (password).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug3: ssh_session2_open: channel_new: 0
debug2: channel 0: send open
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
debug3: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:
#0 client-session (t3 r-1 i0/0 o0/0 fd 4/6 cfd -1)

debug3: channel 0: close_fds r 4 w 6 e 7 c -1
Read from remote host mymachine.mydomain: Connection reset by peer
Connection to mymachine.mydomain closed.
debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 110 bytes in 0.0 seconds
debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 4537.2
debug1: Exit status -1

!DSPAM:4a64aee3260209957242535!

Relevant Pages

  • [SLE] Slow SSH login
    ... A> ssh B ... second delay no matter the authentication mechanism ... debug1: Authentication succeeded. ...
    (SuSE)
  • LDAP Authentication via SSH
    ... authenticate via SSH to the LDAP server. ... debug1: Connecting to ldapclient.domain port 22. ... debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive ... # rlogin service (explicit because of pam_rhost_auth) ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Help request: problems with a 5.1 server and large numbers of ssh users.
    ... FreeBSD 5.1 because I need to be able to support ldap authentication.) ... My version of ssh is 3.6.1p2 patched to address the security concerns. ... debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, ... debug1: Connection established. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Help request: problems with a 5.1 server and large numbers of ssh users.
    ... FreeBSD 5.1 because I need to be able to support ldap authentication.) ... My version of ssh is 3.6.1p2 patched to address the security concerns. ... debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, ... debug1: Connection established. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Problems with passwordless ssh/scp (W2K client , Solaris 8 server).
    ... configuration for the ssh client and server. ... The SSH server configuration is a pretty standard configuration (Solaris ... Rhosts Authentication disabled, ... debug1: Connection established. ...
    (SSH)