Re: /var/log/messages internal-sftp time stamp problem

In the last episode (Jun 04), Greg Wooledge said:
On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 05:42:23PM +0100, Syy Bak wrote:
internal-sftp subsystem are one hour behind systems clock as if
internal-sftp subsystem would only observe UTC (GMT) time zone without
[...]
not sure sure if this is something to do with chrooting)?

Running the internal sftp inside a chroot could definitely account for
that. Your operating system may have a file or a symbolic link somewhere
in /etc which determines the default time zone; or it may just use the TZ
environment variable. They're all different.

Shouldn't sshd still have the timezone information from before it chrooted,
though? Internal-sftp doesn't exec a new process, so as long as it called
some function that read /etc/localtime before the chroot it should know the
correct timezone.

--
Dan Nelson
dnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Relevant Pages

  • Re: sftp server with chrootdirectory setup
    ... I want to setup a sftp ONLY server using openssh with internal-sftp ... The sftp does work fine. ... I can chroot, uploading/downloading,etc. ... I have tried openssh version 4.9, 5.0, 5.1. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • internal-sftp: client unable to initialise server with chrooted user
    ... - smartcard: Enables smartcard support ... The problem is when trying to use sftp in an internal-sftp chroot, ... Fatal: unable to initialise SFTP on server: could not connect. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: sftp server with chrootdirectory setup
    ... I want to setup a sftp ONLY server using openssh with internal-sftp ... The sftp does work fine. ... I have tried openssh version 4.9, 5.0, 5.1. ... Building a real chroot cage for OpenSSH is beyond the work most of us are willing to invest, ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • [SOLVED] Re: Firefox and Time Zones
    ... displays the correct time and time zone, and so does the clock applet ... Hopefully this helps any one else who has a 32-bit chroot. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: /var/log/messages internal-sftp time stamp problem
    ... internal-sftp subsystem would only observe UTC time zone without ... The absence of this inside the chroot would cause the chrooted processes ...
    (SSH)