Re: SSH X11 Setting the Display Variable

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 05:17, Chris Mirchandani <novashadow@xxxxxxx> wrote:
OK, I found one hole in this script. If I ssh in as any user, the script does what it is supposedto do and the DISPLAY variable value is left as set by ssh. However, if I su -l to another userDISPLAY=192.168.11.1:0.0. If I su to the same user without -l the DISPLAY variable value is leftas set by ssh when the initial user was logged in. Any ideas and/or suggestions?

I wouldn't have said that was a hole "per se", more a "feature" with
the way that `su -l` is designed to work. The point of the -l switch
is that the environment is set from a clean slate when entering the
new user context. This means that any pre-existing DISPLAY variable
will be blanked out along with the rest of the new shell's
environment. Then /etc/profile is run through to set up the initial
environment for said new shell, which will detect the lack of DISPLAY
variable and set up the default (192.168.11.1:0.0).

--
Regards,
Daniel Llewellyn

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Fallen in
    ... Stop using your car. ... switch off my computer when its not needed, ... won't help the environment is santimonious arses calling everyone else a ... I sense a new underclass forming. ...
    (uk.local.kent)
  • Re: Warranty?
    ... Where the three phase supply was brought in was a large switch box. ... Why do you think he should have needed medical attention? ... "potentially" hazardous environment. ... Excuse me, but your previous post states that you witnessed this second ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Warranty?
    ... Where the three phase supply was brought in was a large switch box. ... Why do you think he should have needed medical attention? ... have "no lone" working in an environment which can only be made ... expose the incoming feeds. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • How do I dynamically switch SQL Connection to Test or Production environments?
    ... I want my VB.Net windows application to be able to dynamically switch to ... either a Production environment or a test environment. ... I donít want to have to change the connection string throughout the app. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: Environment Space in XP
    ... you can use the /E switch. ... The batch file TIMACLP.BAT contains: ... I don't see 'Out of Environment Space' but the batch file isn't run. ...
    (comp.lang.clipper)