Getting rid of "Cannot open display" message

Hi all.

I'm using ssh to execute a command on a server. When the remote server
has an X server running, I get a/m message written to standard error.

amit0 ~ # ssh localhost echo bla
Cannot open display "default display"
Cannot open display "default display"
bla

Appending the '-x' parameter, as suggested, doesn't seem to help:

amit0 ~ # ssh -x localhost echo bla
Cannot open display "default display"
Cannot open display "default display"
bla

I want to disable whatever's causing this message. I don't need X
running over the connection.

How do I get rid of this message?

ssh version:
amit0 ~ # ssh -V
OpenSSH_5.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009

10x,
Amit

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Getting rid of "Cannot open display" message
    ... I'm using ssh to execute a command on a server. ... amit0 ~ # ssh localhost echo bla ... Cannot open display "default display" ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: [opensuse] ssh -X localhost. Solution: enable IPv6
    ... Error: Can't open display: ... on my work server from home to run xclock and xcalc. ... forgot to mention that I can use ssh -X on 11.4 to connect to SLES servers and run graphic apps. ... So this would lead me to believe there's a problem with the ssh server config on my station. ...
    (SuSE)
  • RE: Getting rid of "Cannot open display" message
    ... Getting rid of "Cannot open display" message ... I'm using ssh to execute a command on a server. ... How do I get rid of this message? ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Forwarding X without X server running
    ... > I've got a server without an X server running on it. ... > through ssh connections through the server, or do I have to install an X ... order to be able to run X programs there to display on your local X ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Forwarding X without X server running
    ... > I've got a server without an X server running on it. ... > through ssh connections through the server, or do I have to install an X ... order to be able to run X programs there to display on your local X ...
    (alt.os.linux)