Re: How to restrict ssh user to the home directory ?

On Ter, 2009-04-21 at 21:55 +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:
Dear list,

I am running a remote suse server and need to give ssh access to the users who can work on their particular web folder only. The version of ssh server is openssh-5.0p1-21.1

I have already did huge google search but could not find any sshd features which can allow ssh users
to restrict them in their home directory. I have found some documentations where chroot or jailkit is used to achieve this and
these need some more configuration and obviously "chown root:root <home-folder>" . But I need an option which simply restrict ssh users so that they can't browse beyond their home directory. It is also not possible to do "chown root:root <home-folder>" as the folders which are used as home directory are actually web folder under apache htdocs having apache permission. I don't need sftp but ssh access. Is it really impossible to have this feature through ssh technology ?

You can try rssh:

http://www.pizzashack.org/rssh/index.shtml
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-linux-unix-rssh-chroot-jail-setup.html

-- Jose Celestino SAPO.pt::Systems http://www.sapo.pt
--------------------------------------------------------------------- *
Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from smart
people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart
terminals.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to restrict ssh user to the home directory ?
    ... I am running a remote suse server and need to give ssh access to the users who can work on their particular web folder only. ...
    (SSH)
  • How to restrict ssh user to the home directory ?
    ... I am running a remote suse server and need to give ssh access to the users who can work on their particular web folder only. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: How to restrict ssh user to the home directory ?
    ... the users who can work on their particular web folder only. ... features which can allow ssh users to restrict them in their home ... I don't need sftp but ssh access. ... It should be entirely possible in openssh. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: ssh
    ... > I want to setup a few client pc's as dumb terminals. ... > the server?The clients are also running RH9. ... fact, IIRC you cannot send a full XDM overs ssh, just run individual apps. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: freebsd7 on older machines
    ... i want to create a series of 'dumb terminals' which can ssh -Y into a ... via nfs. ... or i can setup the hd on another machine that does support the ...
    (freebsd-questions)