Re: pubkey works for user: why not root ?

--- On Sat, 4/18/09, sean darcy <seandarcy2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can ssh for my laptop to the server
as a user, but using root from
same laptop to same server fails. root can login with
password.
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'

I'd guess you have private and public keys mixed up. Verify you put the PUBLIC key on your target server. The BEGIN/END tags appear in the private key.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] Re: ssh & root logins special? in 11.1?
    ... would only be used in logging in to a server. ... It is considered better security practice, not to allow root remote ... authorized_keys file as I add or update public keys. ... you will just have to enable root logins. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: setting a password less ssh connection
    ... hicham wrote: ... I've found lot on the web about exchanging public keys but i still ... Are you trying to log in as root, or as a user using key pairs? ... remote backups even if root login is normally not allowed). ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: setting a password less ssh connection
    ... I've found lot on the web about exchanging public keys but i still ... Are you trying to log in as root, or as a user using key pairs? ... public key authentication will be allowed, ... remote backups even if root login is normally not allowed). ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: public-private key confusion
    ... you can pick a single random private exponent and use it with ... it is also possible to get different public keys with a single ... private key and a single set of system parameters, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: setting a password less ssh connection
    ... I'm having trouble to set a passwordless ssh connection between many ... I've found lot on the web about exchanging public keys but i still ... Are you trying to log in as root, or as a user using key pairs? ... use rsync to keep a backup machine in sync with the main machine. ...
    (Fedora)