Re: Patch for OpenSSH for Windows to allow authentication through certificates

Hi Roumen,

I changed config files as you said and now it works, thanks for help!
But I am in doubt if the way it works now is the right one. I had to
copy clients public key to authorized_keys file on server machine, and
servers public key to known_hosts file on client machine.
It seems pretty much as usual PKI authentication now, except that
client and server send certificates to each other.

Is that possible by any way to avoid public key storage and just use
certificates validation? Like if certificate is OK – no need to have
public key from this certificate in authorized_key or known_hosts.

Thank you,
Adriana.

Relevant Pages

  • [Full-disclosure] [GOATSE SECURITY] Clench: Goatses way to say "screw you" to certificate author
    ... Application layer authentication-inherent validation of public key ... Goatse Security’s new simple password-based authentication mechanism ... getting hundreds of thousands or millions of users to install a client ... client hashes locally and then sends the hash to the server. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Explanation of SSH
    ... I am still unclear on how SSH works exactly. ... Client issues SSH command and names server ... "Shopper" says "server sends back its public host and server keys ... Surely there is only one public key it sends ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • [NT] Dark Age of Camelot Man-In-The-Middle
    ... use of RSA public key cryptography and an RC4 based symmetric algorithm. ... Seeing the imminent release of code for cracking the game client (which ... At the beginning of each TCP session, the server sends a 1536 bit RSA ... void bytes_out(unsigned char *data, int len) ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Secure VPN access
    ... with it's security option for the client. ... After getting the VPN connection I check the Ip settings and found the ... point to the head ISP's DNS server. ... > Computer certificates for L2TP/IPSec VPN connections ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Debian SSH server configuration
    ... I would like to configure a Debian server to only allow clients to ssh ... I don't want any client computers to be able to ssh into ... It sounds like what you are asking for is host based authentication, ... where the server check to make sure that it has the host public key ...
    (Debian-User)