From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Kevin Brott
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 11:00 AM
To: secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Activity of the $HOME/.kshrc

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 16:38 -0700, Jialing Liang wrote:
I have ssh login to two Linux - Openssh server. They share one $Home
directory. server1 runs Redhat 3 with Openssh 3.6.1 and sever2 runs
Redhat 5 with Openssh 4.3

The problem is: If I type "ssh server1 set" in a local host it shows
the
variable defined in $HOME/.kshrc. However, the "ssh server2 set" does
not show the variable defined in the same $HOME/.kshrc file. How can I
make the server2 works the same as server1? Here the user name in
local,
svrever1 and server2 are the same.

Settings of both server1 and server2:

# cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep PermitUserEnvironment
PermitUserEnvironment yes

$ cat $HOME/.ssh/environment
ENV=$HOME/.kshrc

$ cat $HOME/.kshrc
LIC_HOST=licserv; export LIC_HOST;

Results of ssh command:

localhost$ ssh server1 echo $LIC_HOST
licserv
localhost$ ssh server2 echo $LIC_HOST

Thanks in advance for any discussions.

Jialing Liang

Silly question, I know - but given that they're Redhat boxes - have you
double-checked the account shell on the 'broken' box is /bin/ksh and
not /bin/bash? In the latter case, that .kshrc would not get sourced
without manual intervention.

--
#include <stddisclaimer.h>
/* Kevin Brott <Kevin.Brott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

DISCLAIMER:
This message is intended for the sole use of the addressee, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee you are
hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute to
anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you
have received this message in error, please immediately advise the
sender by reply email and delete this message.