Is writing to om_adj important ?

Hi

When I ssh into my Linux server, the login succeeds but I notice that I get the following type of entry appended to the auth.log :

Jan 26 17:10:45 maxv1 sshd[32624]: error writing /proc/self/oom_adj: Permission denied

What are the implications of the sshd not being able to write to the oom_adj ? Ie Is this error significant or should I just ignore it ?

The sshd's write is failing because the server I'm logging into is a VServer guest/virtual server, and the VServer virtualisation technology places restrictions on what can be written to the /proc filesystem from within the guest.

The guest server OS is Debian Lenny and the sshd versions is "1:5.1p1-5". Within the sshd_config Privilege Separation is turned on.

The host server's kernel is Lenny's "linux-source-2.6.26" (version "2.6.26-13") with Lenny's vserver patches applied from "linux-patch-debian-2.6.26" (version "2.6.26-13"). The host's util-vserver package is version "0.30.216~r2772-6". The host's
"vserver-debiantools" package is version "0.6.3".

Many thanks,
Declan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Securing FC 4
    ... exploits the kernel to get local root privs. ... binaries chmod 700 to prevent access by the web server user. ... I have pretty good results with the linux vserver ... long as the root server has the patch set applied. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Vserver kernel/Lilo/unknown on Debian woody trouble - any hints?
    ... So I compiled a vserver kernel for the server, too, copied it to /boot, ... added a lilo entry and ran "lilo -R vserver" to test it first (as it is ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Dynamische Website mit Java (CGI ?)
    ... VServer ist leider keine "saubere" Lösung, eben wegen der /flexiblen/ Speicherverwaltung. ... Diese Server werden aus den billigsten Teilen zusammengeschraubt, die momentan verfügbar sind (deshalb gibt es oft auch keine konkreten Angaben zur Grösse der Festplatte). ...
    (de.comp.lang.java)
  • Re: Is writing to om_adj important ?
    ... I've just read the kernel documentation for "oom_adj" ... The sshd's write is failing because the server I'm logging into is a VServer guest/virtual server, and the VServer virtualisation technology places restrictions on what can be written to the /proc filesystem from within the guest. ... The guest server OS is Debian Lenny and the sshd versions is ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: VPN =?ISO-8859-15?Q?f=FCr?= vserver
    ... Dann tunnele den Traffic vom/zum Server ueber ssh. ... VPN, sondern nur einen ssh-Service (und der sollte doch auch in dem VServer ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)