Re: SSH tunnel and X forwarding

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 01:21:14PM +0200, Malte Horst Arthur Skoruppa wrote:
malte@hal $ ssh -g -L 2508:ririu:22 malte@ririu

malte@freya $ ssh -p 2508 -X malte@hal

I do succeed in connecting to ririu. Except that the X forwarding doesn't work!

It should work as expected if you just skip the tunnel and use two
ssh connections:

imadev:~$ ssh -t -X vandev ssh -X arc1 xdpyinfo
RSA host key for IP address '10.76.142.101' not in list of known hosts.
wooledg@vandev's password:
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
Password:
name of display: localhost:11.0
version number: 11.0
vendor string: Hewlett-Packard Company
vendor release number: 600000

Of course you'll need xauth(1) on all three machines, and X11Forwarding
in the sshd_config files on all but "hal".

The -t option on the first ssh is so that there's a terminal in which
the sshd on box #2 (vandev in my example) can ask for a password. This
shouldn't be needed if you use keys.

Relevant Pages

  • X authentication bug in 3.2.0 ?
    ... We have a problem with X forwarding after upgrade to ssh 3.2.0 on SPARC ... All files .ssh2 and .Xauthority are shared on all computers. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: forwarding not working
    ... > My friend's ISP blocks connections from otuside to her port 22. ... > are trying forwarding. ... The command she gave at her local Linux box is, ... Instead of connecting to 1.2.3.4:xxx, ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: SMTP Event Sink
    ... We have InterScan installed on the server and it was connecting to the remote host and forwarding to the SMTP service. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.smtp_nntp)
  • Re: Configuring a data plan for for remote access
    ... Would something like the dynip service help make it work? ... Already am using the TZO clientt, and it works...if you are connecting within the same IP pool. ...
    (alt.cellular.cingular)