Re: Relocating ~/.ssh?

You have to modify the /etc/ssh/*config files and restart sshd.

If an ssh client were able to tell the ssh server where to read the config, that
would be a security breach.

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 3:20 AM, Aaron Davies <aaron.davies@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is it possible to change where SSH looks for the .ssh directory? My
home directory is currently on a file server 10,000 miles (about 300ms
ping) away from me, and any operation involving the files in it takes
at least ten times longer than it normally does.

If I read the man pages correctly, I can use IdentityFile and
UserKnownHostsFile to relocate my keys and and known_hosts, but that
means ssh still has to read ~/.ssh/config. I could alias ssh to ssh -i
... -o UserKnownHostsFile=..., but that will only work for outgoing
connections--I also want my authorized_keys for incoming connections
moved.

I do not currently have the ability to modify /etc/ssh/*config (or
anything else in /etc), but that may change, so solutions not
requiring root are preferable, but root-only is welcome too if it's
the only way.

(I should note that I tried the most obvious solution, symlinking
.ssh, but it didn't work, presumably for security reasons.)
--
Aaron Davies
aaron.davies@xxxxxxxxx

--
And, did Galoka think the Ulus were too ugly to save?
-Centauri

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?
    ... what if I my router doesent have a public IP ... use for ssh is forwarded to your ssh server. ... You can find Hamachi at ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Setting up SSH on Snow Leopard
    ... a Terminal window on the Mac and try "ssh localhost". ... authentication methods, and is either of those preferred from a security ... the most secure configuration will offer the least amount ... If you want to harden your SSH server, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?
    ... what if I my router doesent have a public IP ... I agree - ssh with no password and then use certificates to ... use for ssh is forwarded to your ssh server. ... You can find Hamachi at ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: GSSAPI auth and NAT Problems
    ... The first named alias is used for your ticket generation. ... kerberos server and the ssh server I want to connect to are behind a nat. ... Port forwads are done by iptables on my virtual-machine-host. ...
    (comp.protocols.kerberos)