Can't run whoami(id -un) inside chroot jail using openssh native jail support

OS: RHEL5.2
Openssh: 5.0p1 and now 5.1

I have successfully setup a chroot jail using openssh's new native
jail support and almost everything appears to be working
(ls,cd,cat,uname,etc,ect). However I can't run any commands that
identify the user.. such as ld -un whoami logname. They all fail with
this result:

#whoami
whoami: cannot find name for user ID 503
#id
uid=503 gid=504 groups=504
#id -un
id: cannot find name for user ID 503
503
#logname
503

i've made sure that /etc/passwd and even /etc/group are in the jail
with the proper permissions but still I get the same result.. Any
suggestions??