[ANNOUNCE] Graphical sshd_config editor

Since editing sshd_config is not really fun for newbies, I've released
a graphical configuration editor for /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

This editor provides:
- in-line help (extracted from sshd_config man page)
- 2 levels of experience so most complex parameters are hidden from
- all default values are clearly shown
- clear indications of configuration customization (the green arrow on
the graphical interface)

This program provides several user interfaces:
- one graphical with Perl/Tk
- one curses interface with Curses::UI
- one terminal interface with Term::Readline

Once the Perl module is installed, you can run (as root, but please
backup /etc/ssh/sshd_config before):

# config-edit-sshd

You may want to try it safely first by writing the resulting sshd.conf
elsewhere (in this case you can run this command as a regular user):

$ config-edit-sshd -write_conf_dir test

If config-edit fails to load your sshd.conf, you can try config-edit-sshd
with -force option.

This module is available on CPAN :

And here's a screen-shot of the sshd_config editor:

from Config::Model::OpenSsh freshmeat page:

Unless secureshell mailing list users ask for it, I will not announce
new versions of this tool on this list (well, I may announce the
version that will feature an editor for ssh_config). Please subscribe
to freshmeat announce or to the user mailing list to get more news.

This program is based on Config::Model. All the parameters of
sshd_config are described in a data structure. So adaptation to users
needs or new version of OpenSsh will be straightforward. For more
informations, please see Config::Model home page:

Last but not least, please allow me a call for help. I lack the time
and expertise to create a web interface for Config::Model. This
interface should provide an interface with similar feature as the
graphical interface. If you have the skills and the time to help,
please contact me.

All the best.

Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they
need, not what they want." Kurt Bittner

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "tbody" tag
    ... because it was the only editor on the machine I was using). ... The interface of the code editor is clunky and it doesn't do XML auto closing-tag insertion, which is one of the few really useful features of an editor that isn't just a typing accelerator. ... Perhasp the next version of DW closes XML tags, but to be honest, personally I dont do enough pure XML to warrent the change (I'm a design, not a programmer). ...
  • Re: texmaker, texstudio or lyx
    ... directly with the tex source file. ... editor for more than just TeX, I'd recommend using one which isn't ... I would not all Lyx a complete interface for LaTeX. ...
  • Re: Unzulaenglichkeiten von Webforen und sterbendes De-Usenet
    ... >> Lasse Kliemann wrote: ... Was das Interface betrifft, so ist die ... >> Dir die Sache dadurch erträglich machen, indem Du einen Editor ... > ob was neues Interessantes für mich dabei ist. ...
  • PivotCube VCL v 7.09 uploaded
    ... PivotGrid cell editor or use own interface solution. ... You may download new PivotCube VCL package at ...
  • Re: [Unity is definitely not for new comers] Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 80, Issue 209
    ... I actually think that Gnome and KDE interfaces would be more intuitive ... button interface from whence most newbies appear to come, ... For newbies coming from a windows environment the ...