[ANNOUNCE] Graphical sshd_config editor

Hello

Since editing sshd_config is not really fun for newbies, I've released
a graphical configuration editor for /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

This editor provides:
- in-line help (extracted from sshd_config man page)
- 2 levels of experience so most complex parameters are hidden from
newbies
- all default values are clearly shown
- clear indications of configuration customization (the green arrow on
the graphical interface)

This program provides several user interfaces:
- one graphical with Perl/Tk
- one curses interface with Curses::UI
- one terminal interface with Term::Readline

Once the Perl module is installed, you can run (as root, but please
backup /etc/ssh/sshd_config before):

# config-edit-sshd

You may want to try it safely first by writing the resulting sshd.conf
elsewhere (in this case you can run this command as a regular user):

$ config-edit-sshd -write_conf_dir test

If config-edit fails to load your sshd.conf, you can try config-edit-sshd
with -force option.

This module is available on CPAN :

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Config-Model-OpenSsh/

And here's a screen-shot of the sshd_config editor:

http://freshmeat.net/screenshots/69123/74589/

from Config::Model::OpenSsh freshmeat page:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/config-model-openssh/

Unless secureshell mailing list users ask for it, I will not announce
new versions of this tool on this list (well, I may announce the
version that will feature an editor for ssh_config). Please subscribe
to freshmeat announce or to the user mailing list to get more news.

This program is based on Config::Model. All the parameters of
sshd_config are described in a data structure. So adaptation to users
needs or new version of OpenSsh will be straightforward. For more
informations, please see Config::Model home page:

http://config-model.wiki.sourceforge.net/

Last but not least, please allow me a call for help. I lack the time
and expertise to create a web interface for Config::Model. This
interface should provide an interface with similar feature as the
graphical interface. If you have the skills and the time to help,
please contact me.

All the best.

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "tbody" tag
    ... because it was the only editor on the machine I was using). ... The interface of the code editor is clunky and it doesn't do XML auto closing-tag insertion, which is one of the few really useful features of an editor that isn't just a typing accelerator. ... Perhasp the next version of DW closes XML tags, but to be honest, personally I dont do enough pure XML to warrent the change (I'm a design, not a programmer). ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: texmaker, texstudio or lyx
    ... directly with the tex source file. ... editor for more than just TeX, I'd recommend using one which isn't ... I would not all Lyx a complete interface for LaTeX. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Unzulaenglichkeiten von Webforen und sterbendes De-Usenet
    ... >> Lasse Kliemann wrote: ... Was das Interface betrifft, so ist die ... >> Dir die Sache dadurch erträglich machen, indem Du einen Editor ... > ob was neues Interessantes für mich dabei ist. ...
    (de.soc.netzkultur.misc)
  • PivotCube VCL v 7.09 uploaded
    ... PivotGrid cell editor or use own interface solution. ... You may download new PivotCube VCL package at ...
  • Re: [Unity is definitely not for new comers] Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 80, Issue 209
    ... I actually think that Gnome and KDE interfaces would be more intuitive ... button interface from whence most newbies appear to come, ... For newbies coming from a windows environment the ...
    (Ubuntu)