Re: Allowing remote root login seems to be bad. Why? (SUMMARY)

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:21 PM, David Edwards <DEdwards@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ron,

I do agree that allowing root access in some cases does make sense.

Are we missing something. Tell me that I don't understand something
here. How can a user doing "su -" and jumping to root after login with
a regular user be different from login with direct root.

Where the first option provide extra barrier for a hacker and second
lets someone do the root dance easily.

Kosala

Relevant Pages

  • Re: problem logging in.
    ... I logged in as root and deleted the user that was giving me the ... after logging in as a regular user though. ... > stuff I needed to install. ... > my regular user and bypass the login screen. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • SUMARY: Cant login as root
    ... As a result, i was not able to log in as root, neither create a new ... Asunto: RE: Can't login as root ... > console. ... > If we log as any other user everythig is ok, but we cannot either do su-. ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • Re: Configuring Bash
    ... At 07:20 PM 5/14/2008, Montag wrote: ... However, if I su to root, I get: ... it is invoked as a login shell. ... But logging in as a regular user. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Help - Initial install forgot login and pwd
    ... Login and Password. ... I didn't assign a root password on the install as it said I did not have ... create a regular user account, there's no way you can get in except by ... When you've entered a password for the root account, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • RE: Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1
    ... symptom trying to su back to root. ... After another minimal install, I was able to add my user and su to it and su ... I was unable to boot using the boot floppy. ... I did a minimal install and was able to login as root, ...
    (Fedora)