RE: Allowing remote root login seems to be bad. Why?

There still is the ip address that comes across. I see no problem with direct root login. Just use a very secure password. This is assuming it is a internal box. External box setup with account other than root then su to root This is my 2cents

-----Original Message-----
From: Mario Platt <mplatt@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 11:35 AM
To: Ron Arts <ron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Allowing remote root login seems to be bad. Why?

Hey,

Well in my opinion, debian guys are right, and for one reason only: Logging

Relevant Pages

  • Re: /home on its own partition
    ... You answered your own question there, Martin. ... to be a parallel installer option for, as you say, the naive Ubuntu user. ... requirement can be nicely met by a default that allows direct root login ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: /home on its own partition
    ... Martin Gregorie wrote: ... to be a parallel installer option for, as you say, the naive Ubuntu user. ... requirement can be nicely met by a default that allows direct root login ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: /home on its own partition
    ... to be a parallel installer option for, as you say, the naive Ubuntu user. ... requirement can be nicely met by a default that allows direct root login ... There can be no root login in Ubuntu as the account is effectively ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Root login disabled
    ... get the direct root login and have to su to root from my own login id. ... Checked several things but no success. ... Are you looging in via telnet/ssh or from the console? ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Root login disabled
    ... Having recently installed and configured the AIX 6.1, ... get the direct root login and have to su to root from my own login id. ... Checked several things but no success. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)