Fwd: Re: What is difference between '5900:localhost:5900 remotehost' and '5900:remotehost:5900 remotehost'?

Quoting arguellodw <arguellodw@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hello all,
I'm having a difficult time understanding the difference between these two
local tunnels.

There is indeed very little difference. The only difference is that
when sshd on the remote host goes to connect to the target port of the
forward, in one case it will connect to "localhost" (127.0.0.1), while
in the other case it will connect to its own IP address, whatever that
is.

It's possible this can make a difference, though, if you're using VNC
(as I suspect you are from the port number) and are starting Xvnc with
the `localhost' option. In that case, I would guess, you can't
connect using the name of the remote host; you would have to say
"localhost".

-- Scott

Relevant Pages

  • sshd stop working
    ... When I try to connect to sshd on my computer from either outside, ... localhost I get the following error: ... Connection closed by remote host ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: cant open live
    ... publish from localhost to www.daystar.com - I can NOT publish from my ... remote host in the remote host properties box, other than the www - UNLESS I ... that won't work unless they are published to a web server running the FPSE ... thing I just learned is that I have to choose FILE SYSTEM to publish remote ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
  • Re: SendUsing
    ... When run from the localhost, the security permissions ... >> When this application is run from localhost it executes and the message ... >> When the same code is executed from a remote host it throws an exception ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols)
  • Re: Setting up network access for a CUPS printer
    ... system for NetworkPrinter: localhost ... Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol ... Printer 'NetworkPrinter@localhost' - cannot open connection - No such file ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Just a Quick Question
    ... ii openssh-server 1:5.8p1-7 secure shell server ... ... Ensure that you can connect to the sshd port from the local host. ... Ensure that you can connect to the sshd port from the remote host. ... $ telnet yourlinuxhost 22 ...
    (Debian-User)