Re: Connection closed by remote host

It seems very likely that you may be hitting the maximum number of unauthenticated connections. I believe the default is 10. Anytime someone has connected, but has not yet fully authenticated, they are in this bucket. This can really show up on publically available SSH daemons - perhaps your connections are getting chewed up by someone trying to brute-force your passwords.

Another possibility (sorry, can recall exact versions where this effected it) is a bug I ran into where connections that exited too quickly also resulted in a similar situation. Look at the output of ps and see if you have a bunch of defunct SSH processes laying around. I ran into this on some of our Debian Sarge hosts, where I was doing a simple ssh 'cat /proc/loadavg' for monitoring. I didn't dig too much into it, but if you google around you should be able to find something there. An upgrade got around this in our case.