Re: OpenSSH 4.9p1 configure bug

Brian McNally wrote:
The Makefile for OpenSSH 4.9p1 for Linux seems to be broken. It was this was on 4.8 as well. This is on RHEL 5.1.
[...]
So, it seems like gcc -V is getting called incorrectly, which causes problems later on.

I suspect the gcc -V thing is a red herring.

This looks like the problem:

configure:2207: gcc conftest.c >&5
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It appears that you compiler can't create executables with the flags you've supplied. Perhaps it's a 64-bit libraries vs 32-bit compiler thing? I dunno what RHEL does in this regard.

Can you compile a "hello world" program? Is the gcc in the path the one that you expect? ("CC=/usr/bin/gcc ./configure")?

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RHEL 5.3 with nagios
    ... I work on IT company who has a lot of servers with RHEL OS and two ... checking for gcc... ... checking for C compiler default output file name... ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: RHEL 5.3 with nagios
    ... nagios plugins. ... I work on IT company who has a lot of servers with RHEL OS and two ... checking for gcc... ... checking for C compiler default output file name... ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: gcc error
    ... I don't think gcc install of an older version ... will be a problem - it's only the C compiler. ... found the application that compile with gcc3.4 or highter run on RHEL ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: size of an integer ??
    ... It depends on the judgement of the implementer of the compiler, ... compiler for a "32-bit" system might have 16-bit int for compatibility ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • RHEL 5.3 with nagios
    ... I work on IT company who has a lot of servers with RHEL OS and two news RHEL ... checking for gcc... ... checking for C compiler default output file name... ...
    (RedHat)