Re: Passive sftp?

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Leroy Tennison wrote:

I've heard of passive ftp but this is new to me. I searched the Web for
'passive sftp' and got 32 hits total of which only a few applied and none of
which explained anything.

Is there such a thing? If so, what are it's features and
characteristics? The comment came from a vendor in the context of
"keeps sftp from prompting for a password" which I had associated with
user keys. Is the vendor confused or do they know something I don't?

In the FTP protocol, "passive" means that only one connection is
established, originating in the client. All trafic goes over this
connection. (In non-passive FTP, the server opens a second channel back to
the client.)

No such differentiation exists in SFTP. There is only one connection.

The vendor may be using "passive" in a different sense, but I don't think
it is a widely accepted usage.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras@xxxxxxxxx
company e-mail: rsi@xxxxxxxxx
fax: (US) 503-624-0760
web: http://www.anzio.com
street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
Portland, OR 97223 USA

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Incoherent ssh daemon in Solaris 10! - SOLVED
    ... I have just discovered why the ssh daemon didn't start the sftp subsystem. ... The problem was in the configuration file of bash witch was ... For this reason the client was unable to open the connection,... ... the client was at fault because I read "connection closed by client" in the ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Easier alternative to scp?
    ... Other alternative is to use sftp. ... Login once and keep the connection open until you finish your work. ... you want to reuse the ssh connection for sftp also just do a "ssh port" ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: [opensuse] what networking file system to use for our home office?
    ... SSH server on Your "server" and from Your clients connect using SFTP or ... You can login using SSH ... certificates or just let clients' computers to remember passwords. ... I usually sit at university, so I have good connection, but even from home ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: In the market for a secure replacement for FTPD
    ... SFTP isn't ... > realy ftp, but rather a frontend to ssh, accepting ftp-like commands. ... > autentication and allows for encription of a connection as well. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Newbie - is this connection secure
    ... I am afraid that I know very little about server technologies but need ... When I connect using SFTP a connection is made and the ... The server's host key is not cached in the registry. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)