Re: one user cannot no passphrase connect

Hi,

- What kind of SSH server are you using?
- Perhaps the file permissions are too liberal on the users .ssh directory or files.
Make sure /home/[user] is only writable by the user and make the /home/[user]/.ssh directory read/write only for the owner.

Check /var/log/auth.log for clues.

Good luck!

Ger Apeldoorn

Bob Wooden wrote:
I have a working SSH environment that works, allowing other users (of
the same computer) to SSH into a server through a functional VPN tunnel
(VPN handled by a firewall.)

I have exchanged public keys in the same manner in all cases. Two users
can successfully logged in with their exchanged public key and no manual
password typing is required. One user, despite the same exchange
manner, continues to be asked for a password on SSH connection.

Knowing that SSH connects with the other two users that function
correctly, I am dumbfounded as to why this one user will not connect
without asking for manual intervention. I can see that all information,
for each user, is in the same location and indeed present. But, this
one user will not connect without typing in it's password.

What am I overlooking?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SSH Access Issues
    ... Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines ... I'll follow up on a previous post regarding file permissions. ... Files inside the above dir should be perms 600. ... and of course the user should be the owner of his own .ssh dir and its contents. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: problem with ssh-agent
    ... > It could sound like your file permissions is not right. ... > configuration of ssh. ... >> on machine a i have a scipt, which is using scp and ssh. ... >> execute this script. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?
    ... what if I my router doesent have a public IP ... use for ssh is forwarded to your ssh server. ... You can find Hamachi at ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Setting up SSH on Snow Leopard
    ... a Terminal window on the Mac and try "ssh localhost". ... authentication methods, and is either of those preferred from a security ... the most secure configuration will offer the least amount ... If you want to harden your SSH server, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?
    ... what if I my router doesent have a public IP ... I agree - ssh with no password and then use certificates to ... use for ssh is forwarded to your ssh server. ... You can find Hamachi at ...
    (Fedora)