Re: OpenSSH slow to establish connections

Thomas Damgaard wrote:

Is this a DNS problem?
If so, what do I need to do to fix it?

The full output from ssh -vvv is available at:
http://thomasdamgaard.dk/paste/P962.html
I have inserted "[waiting...]" between the lines where it hangs.

This is normally a dns issue. Either add the host to you are connecting from to DNS and make sure the host you are connecting to can resolve the ip OR add an entry in /etc/hosts for the machine you are connecting from.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "VerifyHostKeyDNS yes" does not work as expected
    ... The authenticity of host 'admin.sibptus.ru ' can't be established. ... Why does ssh not implicitly trust the key published in DNS? ... DNS -- which would seem to be a problem with DNSSEC on your domain. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Question about RSA1 vs DSA fingerprint
    ... I'm connecting to a solaris 8 box on a university LAN, ... This is the "remote" host. ... cygwin, via Sympatico ADSL, ssh version ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: SSH on Fedora 16
    ... I did an reinstall of the openssh-server package, but that would not have been necessary.. ... The authenticity of host '172.25.0.1 ' can't be established. ... Are you sure you want to continue connecting? ... disannoyed that ssh doesn't work on fedora... ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fish://host protocol died unexpectedly
    ... The remote host is running Debian Unstable. ... If that fails then ssh is throwing back an error. ... I had reported this problem while connecting to two different machines ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: no resolution
    ... When you say you host your own DNS, do you mean you're hosting your domain's ... How are they connecting from the outside? ... > We host our own DNS on our corporate network. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)