SSH Dropping Connections

Hi,

I have a remote worker who uses SSH tunneling to connect into the office while on the road. He is running Windows with PuTTY connecting to a Linux OpenSSH server. He has been reporting that it is extremely unstable and that the connection drops. However, I and a colleague of mine use this method regularly and have had no problems.

I suspect that this is simply due to his use of a 3G card which has a very slow dial-up speed connection, whereas myself and my colleague have broadband (actually it does drop more when my internet pipe is flooded).

Is there anything I can do to make the connection more tolerant and not drop?

Or perhaps any advice for further isolating this (bearing in mind the remote worker is not technical and I don't have access to the laptop at the times he's on the road...)

This same remote worker was previously using an ipsec vpn with 3des and had no problems so I suspect that 3des is more forgiving that the ssh protocol(s) being used for cryptography, although I am aware that ssh can use several different crypto algorithms, and reading the man page again it seems that 3des is the default on linux but PuTTY seems to default to AES first so perhaps it is AES being less forgiving that 3des?

Does anyone know more about the actual AES and 3DES protocol internals, is AES less tolerant to timing issues because of it's stronger cryptography (sort of like Kerberos system times being used in the crypto algorithm)?

Any ideas or feedback on this issue?

Thanks

-h

--
Hari Sekhon

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SSH Dropping Connections
    ... I know for sure that ssh session can be held even after a couple of minutes without network connection. ... This same remote worker was previously using an ipsec vpn with 3des and had no problems so I suspect that 3des is more forgiving that the ssh protocolbeing used for cryptography, although I am aware that ssh can use several different crypto algorithms, and reading the man page again it seems that 3des is the default on linux but PuTTY seems to default to AES first so perhaps it is AES being less forgiving that 3des? ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: What is The SSH?
    ... Building and Using SSH Tunnels ... What is an SSH tunnel? ... how to use it to make a connection to a server. ... You will need a working SSH client and server installation to build and test ...
  • Re: Problem connecting to SSH, OpenVMS7.3-2, HP TCP/IP v5.4 patched
    ... warning: Authentication failed. ... connection lost (Connection closed by remote host.). ... So, as you can see, I am trying to make an ssh connection with the ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Keeping OpenSSH connections alive
    ... The TCP connection is timing out, not the SSH session. ... You can then, reconnect to the backgrounded screen session, upon relogin. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Remote Desktop Connection
    ... You can try a free two user version of SSL-Explorer to try it out. ... SSL-Explorer also supports a web based RDC and VNC access to desktop PCs on your network. ... OpenVPN is completely free like SSH. ... What if i have a linkys WiFi router, and does not have vpn feature, how could i secure the connection? ...