RE: Port forwarding confusion

I have a hard time getting the following situation sorted out
and would appreciate any input to solve it.
I'm in a firewalled LAN which provides a ssh-proxy to access
outside machines which I have to use like so:

1) build tunnel
ssh ProxyUser@SSHPROXY -L 2022:OUTSIDEBOX:22

2) make connection
ssh -X OutsideboxUser@localhost -p 2022

What I now wish to do is to access an outside mailserver
(especially port 993) through this proxy and am stuck how to
conceptually do this - build another tunnel through the tunnel?

If anybody can nudge me in the right direction, I would be
very grateful.

ssh ProxyUser@SSHPROXY -L 2022:OUTSIDEBOX:22 -L2993:OTHERBOX:993

Connecting to local port 2993 would connect you to your mail server while
keeping the existing tunnel for port 22.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: What is The SSH?
    ... Building and Using SSH Tunnels ... What is an SSH tunnel? ... how to use it to make a connection to a server. ... You will need a working SSH client and server installation to build and test ...
  • SSH TCP forwarding: works with v1, not with v2 ssh
    ... that they're setting up the tunnels with no problem, ... I can get to the work ssh daemon: ... debug1: Connections to remote port 65002 forwarded to local address palimpsest:22 ... something answers (if I get "connection refused" there's no listener); ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: SSH TCP forwarding: works with v1, not with v2 ssh
    ... >that they're setting up the tunnels with no problem, ... >I can get to the work ssh daemon: ... > debug1: Entering interactive session. ... > Connection closed by foreign host. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Reverse Shell?
    ... >> behind a firewall so I can't ssh into their computer. ... > follow the tunnel back to their machine and then help them. ... Connections to that port will be forwarded through the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: sftp over two connections
    ... from there I log onto LIN and I can work on the console. ... > X tunneling works as well, and I tunnel additional ports to control ... > connection be tunneled through SSH so that I could mount LIN's ...
    (comp.security.ssh)