X-like Port Forwarding

Hello,

Does SSH support forwarding miscellaneous ports between two firewalled
hosts? My scenario is this:

12345-| |-12345
MyPC |---------------22-| Server
6000-| |-6000

Forwarding 12345 on server to MyPC:

ssh -R 12345:mypc:12345 server

This seem to work as long as mypc can be resolved by the server.
However, it does not work when mypc is NAT'd and unresolvable.
Shouldn't it work though? Considering I initiated the connection,
shouldn't the remote server be able/willing to send the data? X11
forwarding works in this case, and with a much simpler syntax:

ssh -Y server

Shouldn't something like this work in this case:

ssh -R 12345:localhost:12345 server
ssh -R 12345::12345 server
ssh -R 12345 server

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Chuck

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Partial SNAFUs - X11Forwarding etc.
    ... to the base server machine via SSH, or it it also supposed to protect ... back "up the line" to the client machine? ... the ssh server host is compromised or otherwise untrustworthy, ... refrain from running the program via ssh X11 forwarding - there's no ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: [SLE] export DISPLAY and xhost +
    ... >>impression that remote X using DISPLAY travels over ssh just because you ... > X11 and TCP forwarding ... the connection to the X11 display is auto­ ... and the connection to the real X server will be made from the ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: server xloads on my desktop
    ... server xloads on my desktop ... # If this option is set to yes then the remote X11 clients will have ... Red Hat server> ssh -V ... Is your sshdconfig file set to allow X11 port forwarding? ...
    (AIX-L)
  • Re: Help in understanding XDMCP required
    ... with a second ssh hop onto my workstation from ... server on the workstation and then ssh ... to your firewall (with X forwarding) and run VNCviewer there to ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: server xloads on my desktop
    ... This will be useful when I finally need to get "ssh ... Lead Analyst - Distributed Systems ... server xloads on my desktop ... Is your sshdconfig file set to allow X11 port forwarding? ...
    (AIX-L)