Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange

All,
  I am new to SSH. I just want to know how Diffie-Hellman Keys are exchanged in OpenSSH between 2 linux machines.

Difffie-Hellman's logic:

It enables parties at both ends to derive a shared, secret key without ever sending it to each other. Using a common number, both sides use a different random number as a power to raise the common number.

How this common number is mutually understood between 2 computers which never interacted??

Where can I get openSSH User guide??

Regards,
Kiran.

Disclaimer: