Re: Multihomed Configuration

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 22:32 +0530, Nirmal Babu Puliyadi Suriya Kumar -X
(npuliyad - HCL at Cisco) wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am using version openssh-4.6p1 in solaris server.

Consider my solaris PC is configured as multihomed with two NIC.

e69001% ifconfig -a
ce0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
inet 172.23.87.109 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 172.23.87.255
ce1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
inet 192.168.2.133 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255

I mean my PC has two IP address. By making use of ListenAddress in
sshd_config file, i can able to listen ssh/ sftp request from both IP
addresses.

e69001# grep "ListenAddress" sshd_config
#ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
#ListenAddress ::
ListenAddress 172.23.87.109
ListenAddress 192.168.2.133

If we do sftp to both the IP address from different machine, it will
pointout the same default root directory.

From machine1:

tballraker7# ./sftp svplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Connecting to 192.168.2.133...
svplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
sftp> pwd
Remote working directory: /usr/users/svplus
sftp > quit

From machine2:

cwmsent51# ./sftp svplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Connecting to 172.23.87.109...
svplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
sftp> pwd
Remote working directory: /usr/users/svplus
sftp > quit

Here, the default directory will be defined based on the login username.

But, Is it possible to assign/ configure different default directory for
each IP address with same login username?

Rgds
Nirmal

It's a shame to have to hard-configure both IP addresses in this config
file -- especially if you are getting them dynamically through DHCP. I
wonder if there is a different way to enable sshd on both NICs without
specifying the IP address...

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Multihomed Configuration
    ... we have been using "wu-ftp" FTP server for ftp operations. ... we observed the following configuration factilities ... specify default root directory for SFTP in sshd_config file. ... e69001# grep "ListenAddress" sshd_config ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Chrooted sftp setup accessible with psftp, but not sftp
    ... I'm having problems with a chrooted sftp set up. ... OpenSSH is the same on the client and server: ... Please either post your entire config, repeat the test with that config and show the entire log. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Chrooted sftp setup accessible with psftp, but not sftp
    ... how is this shell created? ... subsystem request for sftp ... Please either post your entire config (or reduce your config to a subset ... Now that I know psftp is doing special stuff to get a 'sftp' session ...
    (SSH)
  • Multihomed Configuration
    ... inet 172.23.87.109 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 172.23.87.255 ... i can able to listen ssh/ sftp request from both IP ... e69001# grep "ListenAddress" sshd_config ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: weird problem with an old OVMS/TCPIP Services
    ... command line is less flaky. ... very modal so if config files were created from template files, ... AFAIK, sftp and scp do work from batch, once you set up the ...
    (comp.os.vms)