Re: Privilege separation user sshd does not exist

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 13:38 +1000, Darren Tucker wrote:
Dallas Clement wrote:
[...]
Now I'm having problems with configuring the pty for this user. Can you
give me any tips here?

Make sure you have /dev/pts mounted (if you have devpts configured in
your kernel) or that you have the pty device nodes in /dev/ (if you
don't have devpts in your kernel). It's been a while since I had to do
the latter, but "cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV pty" will probably do it.

I've got /dev/pts mounted:

# mount
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)

I've also got a pty device defined:

# ls -l dev
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 2, 0 Jun 5 12:24 ptyp0

But I'm still seeing an error in the sshd log:

error: openpty: No such file or directory

I think I'm awfully close, but there's something else not quite right.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: udev and devfs - The final word
    ... The kernel associates the device with a device ... proc /proc proc rw 0 0 ... devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0 ... why was this strange format invented in the first place? ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: kernel problem
    ... # cat /proc/mounts ... proc /proc proc rw 0 0 ... devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0 ... And I have ext3 support built static into the 2.4.22 kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: X, devfs and shell (fu2 comp.os.linux.development.system)
    ... >> I just added devfs support in my kernel, and everything works fine, ... > is a mount point for a devpts pseudo filesystem. ... > not sure if you still need to mount devpts on top of devfs, ... I removed devpts from the kernel and it worked fine. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: woody: devpts, pppd, and kernel-2.6: failed connection to /dev/pts/0
    ... Seems I'm the only one that cares for me;o) ... kernel image provided by Adrian Bunk, ... So I think I get this narrowed down to an issue with devpts in kernel ...
    (Debian-User)