Re: Privilege separation user sshd does not exist

Dallas Clement wrote:
However, my ssh login attempts from a remote machine are still failing
for some reason. I know that the user is valid and the password is
valid since I can login locally.

Here is my sshd output:

debug1: userauth-request for user dallas service ssh-connection method
debug1: attempt 0 failures 0
Failed none for dallas from port 58494 ssh2
debug1: userath-request for user dallas service ssh-conection method
debug1: attempt 1 failure 1
Failed password for dallas from

Can you think of anything else I might be doing wrong for the password
authentication to fail?

Are you using shadow passwords? If so, did configure file getspnam()? You can add a debug at the bottom of auth-passwd.c:sys_auth_passwd() before the return to make sure that the encrypted password values are what you expect.

Also, there might be something earlier in the debug output so take a close look at it.

This is how I configured the OpenSSH build:

./configure --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh --with-zlib=/home/dallas/zlib_install
--host=i686-unknown-linux-gnu --with-privsep-user=sshd --with-shadow
--with-md5-passwords CC=i686-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc

Should I not be specifying md5 password?

That should be harmless even if you don't use them (it automatically detects which type is in use since it can vary per account).

Darren Tucker (dtucker at
usually comes from bad judgement.