Re: Privilege separation user sshd does not exist

Dallas Clement wrote:
[...]
However, my ssh login attempts from a remote machine are still failing
for some reason. I know that the user is valid and the password is
valid since I can login locally.

Here is my sshd output:

debug1: userauth-request for user dallas service ssh-connection method
none
debug1: attempt 0 failures 0
Failed none for dallas from 172.16.1.33 port 58494 ssh2
debug1: userath-request for user dallas service ssh-conection method
password
debug1: attempt 1 failure 1
Failed password for dallas from 172.16.1.33

Can you think of anything else I might be doing wrong for the password
authentication to fail?

Are you using shadow passwords? If so, did configure file getspnam()? You can add a debug at the bottom of auth-passwd.c:sys_auth_passwd() before the return to make sure that the encrypted password values are what you expect.

Also, there might be something earlier in the debug output so take a close look at it.

This is how I configured the OpenSSH build:

./configure --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh --with-zlib=/home/dallas/zlib_install
--with-ssl-dir=/home/dallas/openssl_install
--host=i686-unknown-linux-gnu --with-privsep-user=sshd --with-shadow
--with-md5-passwords CC=i686-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc

Should I not be specifying md5 password?

That should be harmless even if you don't use them (it automatically detects which type is in use since it can vary per account).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.