Re: Privilege separation user sshd does not exist

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 19:54 +0300, Cristian Stoica wrote:

Hope this helps:
I would say change this in the config file of ssh daemon
UsePrivilegeSeparation no

Sadly, I'm running into other problems when I disable priv sep. If I
start the daemon manually as follows, this is what I get:

From remote host

# ssh -l dallas

On the target I see these errors:

debug1: userauth-request for user dallas service ssh-connection method
debug1: attempt 0 failures 0
Invalid user dallas from
input_userauth_request: invalid user dallas
Failed none for invalid user dallas from port 58128 ssh2

Can OpenSSH function without PAM if I also disable priv sep?

Currently I do not have PAM enabled in my OpenSSH build.

p.s. I noticed in a document found on the web the following quote:

"PAM-enabled OpenSSH is known to function with privsep on Linux."