Re: Read from remote host web01.sti.local: Connection reset by peer

tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've got a couple of servers, which have started kicking me out of the ssh connection just after I enter the correct password, basically I get prompted for the password, then immediately the following message appears;
"Read from remote host web01.ms.sti.local: Connection reset by peer
Connection to web01.ms.sti.local closed."
Have you checked the system logs on the server side? Often this means your SSH login was successful, but that the system login failed due to an invalid shell, missing home directory, or some other reason at the system level.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SSH Connection Time Problems
    ... > FreeBSD 4.5-Stable box to my web hosting company's servers, ... It takes over a minute to establish a connection, ... I was able to get an SSH connection directly to them ... Try adding the following rule to your IPFW rule set. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Somewhat OT -- Looking for ideas on how to test status of SSH TCP tunnel
    ... > I am planning on setting up a TCP tunnel through an SSH connection ... > This tunnel will be used to provide a connection between a Perforce ... > The OS for Korean proxy server will be Redhat FC3 using OpenSSH. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: ipfw, natd, and keep-state - strange behavior?
    ... > # Deny ACK packets that did not match the dynamic rule table ... initiating an ssh connection with an external ... > the rule for my external ip, though, only gets the lifetime value from the ... > when i remove the word "setup" from rule 640, though, ssh connection does ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Somewhat OT -- Looking for ideas on how to test status of SSH TCP tunnel
    ... I am planning on setting up a TCP tunnel through an SSH connection ... tunnel will be used to provide a connection between a Perforce Proxy ... server in Korea and our main Perforce server in the US. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: ssh port forwarding problem
    ... I mean that the connection works fine for a while (I can continuously surf ... > SS> ssh connection will drop sometimes in a matter of minutes. ... > debug output from the server. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)