Re: OpenSSH MacOSX bug? (invalid name was supplied)

Same thing here. I've had some luck downgrading to ssh version 1 (i.e. use
ssh -1 server), although this works only when connecting to the mac box from
the linux one, but not vice versa. This problem went away after I set up
my WiFi router to the linux box by default. Not sure about causality here.
But upgrading the firmware on the router broke this again (Netgear
MR814v2).

Paul Reilly-3 wrote:

I am using MacOSX client

Client Version: OpenSSH_4.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006

connecting to either debian or Ubuntu OpenSSH server...

Server Version:
OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-8, OpenSSL 0.9.8c 05 Sep 2006

Everything works fine if connecting from MacOSX to internet
hosts, but any hosts (eg Debian Etch server) on my local LAN
which uses private IP space (192.168.1.x) fails with client
error:

debug1: An invalid name was supplied
Cannot determine realm for numeric host address