PubkeyAuth disallowed for root only?

Hi folks,

we have a very weird phenomenon:

On two of our RedHat EL4 Update 4 servers root cannot login via ssh using public keys. All other users can. root is asked for a password instead.

sshd_config is RHEL4 default (that means pubkey auth allowed etc.), and the rest is as well. The public keys are correctly appended to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys. Rights on .ssh and its files are correct. I have even tarred+gzipped and copied roots .ssh directory to another server and tested there.

I have compared lots of things (sshd_config, pam config, even roots .bash_profile) to a reference system where it works - everything I have thought of is exactly the same.

PubkeyAuth has worked fine on the problem servers, but one of the admins must have changed something, and of course no one remembers anything. I am sure it is something small and silly I overlook.

Any hint and help is appreciated.

Dirk

Relevant Pages

  • sshd config - WAS Secure entry into remote systems
    ... >>servers, then opening up the firewall for either ssh or VPN. ... > Also disable roots use of ssh so no one can go straight in as root. ... I'd like to set up shared key authentication. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: PubkeyAuth disallowed for root only?
    ... On two of our RedHat EL4 Update 4 servers root cannot login via ssh using public keys. ... if you either run sshd in debug mode or increase LogLevel in sshd_config then the server will provide more information about why the authentication was denied. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Remote Administration Problem
    ... Why are you using telnet for administration, when there is SSH available? ... In default configuration SSH is not allowing to log in as root@. ... > in an isp.Recently i have changed our Internet servers from Linux to freebsd (cache ... > for a network administrator, i didn't have this problem with Linux. ...
    (freebsd-isp)
  • Re: Remote Administration Problem
    ... Why are you using telnet for administration, when there is SSH available? ... In default configuration SSH is not allowing to log in as root@. ... > in an isp.Recently i have changed our Internet servers from Linux to freebsd (cache ... > for a network administrator, i didn't have this problem with Linux. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: ssh allowing root login with no password
    ... ssh allowing root login with no password ... but this is all of their servers and VM's that will ...
    (RedHat)