Re: OpenSSH hangs after TIOCSCTTY.

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 04:55, Darren Tucker wrote:
Raj Mathur wrote:
Debian Etch with openssh-server 4.3p2-9, running Gforge
4.5.14-22, libpam-pgsql 0.5.2-9+b1, libpam-runtime 0.79-4

There are some system users (in /etc/passwd), and some users are
defined in PostgreSQL/PAM. I can remote login to the system
users just fine. However, when I try to login as any user
defined in PostgreSQL, sshd logs me in using the password, prints
MOTD, but never gives a shell prompt.

I would compare the output of "lsof -p [pid]" between a working
session and a non-working one. I suspect that the PAM module is
leaving an extra file descriptor open which throws a spanner into
the works.

OK, it wasn't an SSH problem at all, turned out to be due to a bug in
the name server cache daemon (nscd) as documented in
http://gforge.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=3149&forum_id=6&group_id=1
with a workaround at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2005/10/msg00223.html .
Fortunately I saw that su was also evincing the same behaviour, which
made it easier to track the bug down.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur            raju@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://kandalaya.org/
       GPG: 78D4 FC67 367F 40E2 0DD5  0FEF C968 D0EF CC68 D17F

Relevant Pages

  • OpenSSH hangs after TIOCSCTTY.
    ... There are some system users, ... defined in PostgreSQL/PAM. ... I can remote login to the system users ... never gives a shell prompt. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: OpenSSH hangs after TIOCSCTTY.
    ... There are some system users, and some users are defined in PostgreSQL/PAM. ... I can remote login to the system users just fine. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (SSH)