ethernet tunnels with OpenSSH

Hello,

I've a problem with the ethernet tunnel feature of recent OpenSSH versions.

With a layer 3 tunnel all things are working great. Here is my setup:

A client with OpenSSH has one interface and is connected to an OpenSSH server. These server isn't the gateway of a network (but in another network than the client), so it has only one ethernet card. I can use an IP tunnel without problems. All is running fine on Linux with the tun interfaces. But I would like to use a layer 2 tunnel.

If I run on the client

ssh -o Tunnel=ethernet -w 0:0 server

the tap devices are created by OpenSSH.

On the server I've typed

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 tap0
ifconfig br0 10.1.1.1

and then on the client I can see the ethernet broadcasts on the tap0 interface! But, the client can't use these network, because on the server the requests don't sent in to the network. I've seen on the server ARP broadcast requests from the client, but no answers.

I haven't found examples for layer 2 tunnels with OpenSSH.

I'm happy abount any helpful hint

Thanks in advance

Micha

Relevant Pages

  • Announce: OpenSSH 4.2 released
    ... OpenSSH 4.2 has just been released. ... implementation and includes sftp client and server support. ...
    (SSH)
  • Announce: OpenSSH 4.3 released
    ... OpenSSH 4.3 has just been released. ... implementation and includes sftp client and server support. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: openssh + putty interoperability
    ... > OpenSSH to a combination of Dropbear (presumably server) and PuTTY ... > (presumably client); so where does OpenSSH come into the question? ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ssh -R
    ... The client can demand longer timeouts, and it can ask for a periodic 'check' to see if its still connected. ... One thing that can be easily managed with autossh is a tunnel to a port on localhost of the server, thus avoiding port scanners and other unauthorized intrusions. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Incorrect protocol implementation by OpenSSH?
    ... when the server receives an SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST message to ... SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST message sent by the OpenSSH client contains a 0 ... OpenSSH client is not. ... single command lines. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)