RE: login differences between LAN and WAN to openSSH on cygwin with putty

Cygwin Openssh records its syslog messages into the event log.

Tev

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Sorens
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 12:30 AM
To: secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: login differences between LAN and WAN to openSSH on
cygwin with putty

I have been having the darnedest time trying to figure out
what is happening here:

I am running openSSH on Cygwin on WinXPhome on my home LAN.
It is actually behind a wireless router (R2) then behind a
DSL modem (R1) before it gets to the internet. I have
port-forwarding from R1 to R2, then from R2 to my PC/ssh server.
I am able to login to my ssh server with putty from another
PC when I am inside R2's subnet, and when I go to R1's
subnet, but when I try to access it from R1's external IP it fails.

Some details on the failure:
(1) Initially putty timed out until I realized ZoneAlarm
firewall on my ssh server was blocking it, so I just turned
off that firewall for now.
(2) Then, running sshd on port 2444 (a randomly picked port)
putty came back promptly with "Connection refused".
(3) Changing sshd back to the standard port 22, I now get a
strange response--putty opens and immediately closes (too
fast to see if there is any message).

I tried to turn on logging in sshd_config, even setting the
loglevel to DEBUG, but the /var/log/sshd.conf remains
stubbornly empty.

The real question, then, is: What am I missing in my
configuration to get putty to work from the internet?
Failing an answer to that: how can I get sshd logging turned
on to try to see what is happening?

Thanks,
~~Michael Sorens

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Autorecover ssh tunnel with Putty
    ... use Putty instead of Openssh with Cygwin? ... If it works on the command line, it should be doable from cygwin. ... Although if I couldn't use openssh on the command line, ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: opensuse10.3 + orcale + x-server
    ... in dem Du dann problemlos ein "ssh -Y server" absetzen kannst. ... AFAIK ist Xming kleiner, einfacher zu handhaben und man zieht sich ... Ich wuerde daher (wenn nicht cygwin bereits installiert ... Dann ist man doch aber auf PuTTY angewiesen, ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Mac OS X hacked under 30 minutes
    ... PuTTY? ... OpenSSH? ... Cygwin? ... SSH2 client? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Team Coherence Support Question?
    ... > an X-Window open (e.g. cygwin and Putty). ... I am slowly learning about Linux and use putty to control my servers from my ... between the servers rack and my workstation. ... Raymond J. Schappe ...
  • Re: a generic Windows 95/98 ssh client
    ... > implementation using cygwin on Windows. ... > both the college and putty programmers to improve OpenSSH, ... > Windows extensions/support to OpenSSH. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)