Carriage return character added automatically

Hello,

I have a problem concerning text files.
I use a Java package (SSHTools) to connect over SSH from an application
running on a Windows machine to a Linux machine. After connecting I use the
LESS command to perform some operations on a text file located on the Linux
machine.
My problem is that the carriage return character is added to the end of each
line if it is missing (if only the line feed character exists, it is
automatically "padded" with a carriage return character).
I'm trying to disable this, because it causes me some trouble (I use the
LESS prompt in order to find out the byte offset of the current window, and
this number does not match the number of bytes sent to my client over the
stream).
The problem is that I don't understand who adds this character - the
candidates I can this of are:
1) The LESS function.
2) The host machine.
3) The SSH protocol.
4) The Java package I use.
Please advise on how this can be solved, it is a real pain.

Thanks a lot,

Ziv

  • Re: SSH with Public Key Authentication (Was: Re: Attention: Giorgos Keramidas (Was: CVS Import Permi
    ... Use puttygen to import your private key, ... >>> a windows machine doing an import. ... >> works if you use SSH tunneling though. ... > the plink program in Putty), we must use public key authentication. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Programs for direct friend-to-friend file transfer?
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: Controlling ssh from an external program
    ... passphrase could be discovered and the private key would fall into dangerous ... NB the SSH environment strings need to be included in this mixture! ... character as the final character could signify accept from a file. ... Controlling ssh from an external program ...
    (SSH)
  • Terminal woes
    ... I have a question about ssh, ash, bash, and terminal settings. ... The problem is that from a Windows ... ssh from a Windows machine is barely usable. ... forced off the screen by all the excessive scrolling. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: ssh security
    ... >>I would like to be able to login to my home computer without being ... > If someone puts a keystroke logger on your windows machine, ... > If someone is viewing your Windows desktop using remote monitoring ... > it's ssh client to log in remotely. ...
    (freebsd-questions)