AllowUser, DenyUser don't work.

Hello,
I try to restrict some kind of login through AllowUser and DenyUser but
failed.
openssh version: 4.5
What I want: disable root login from network outside 192.17.0.0
What I wrote into /etc/ssh/sshd_config
***************************
DenyUsers root
AllowUsers root@xxxxxxx*
***************************
However, after that not only root can not login from anywhere, but all
the other accounts are also disabled

Anything I did wrong?

Regards,
Zhuang Liang.

..

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Password scan
    ... user sudo authority BEFORE you disable root login :-) ... If you need to login to a normal user first, ... su/sudo to become root, an attacker can easily guess the length of the ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Disable root login
    ... when i start my PC, i would like to login like a normal user and next, ... If you disable root login, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: AllowUser, DenyUser dont work.
    ... Subject: AllowUser, DenyUser don't work. ... disable root login from network outside 192.17.0.0 What ... AllowUsers you@thehostyourecomingfrom ...
    (SSH)
  • SUMARY: Cant login as root
    ... As a result, i was not able to log in as root, neither create a new ... Asunto: RE: Can't login as root ... > console. ... > If we log as any other user everythig is ok, but we cannot either do su-. ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • RE: Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1
    ... symptom trying to su back to root. ... After another minimal install, I was able to add my user and su to it and su ... I was unable to boot using the boot floppy. ... I did a minimal install and was able to login as root, ...
    (Fedora)