From: jam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 26 January 2007 00:07
To: Sanders Mark
Cc:; jam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Can't connect to one server from a particular LAN

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 09:51:12AM -0000, Mark Sanders wrote:
Hi
I can't ssh to a server from any machine on one particular LAN -
here's
the debug:

OpenSSH_4.2p1 Debian-7ubuntu3.1, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to salford.zen.co.uk [62.3.91.113] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/mark/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/mark/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/mark/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer

I can connect to this server port 22 from a different LAN; I can also
telnet to the server from this LAN.
The debug is from an attempt from an Ubuntu box; I normally attempt to
connect from XP using putty, and get a 'Network error: software caused
connection abort' error.

All suggestions gratefully received...

it looks to me like there is a hosts.allow or hosts.deny that is denying
access from your box.

mark

regards,
http://zoidtechnologies.com/ -- software that sucks less