Re: ssh client hanging after authn for interactive sessions

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 08:22:05PM -0800, David Anderson wrote:
We're having some trouble on a linux ssh shell server. There are
currently 300 or so account, and when any sizable number of these
connect simultaneously, subsequent connections hang after
authentication for any interactive session.

Running non-interactive commands (say, `ls`) works fine, but running
anything interactive (tried bash and zsh in this case) hangs the
connection. When the connection is hanged, if the client is in verbose
mode, I see keepalive packets being transmitted regularly, so the
connection is there... Just not doing anything.

This has been reported for many different clients, including putty on
win32 and versions of openssh from 4.2 to 4.5 on linux, bsd and osx.
The server itself has "OpenSSH_4.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006"
installed.

Has anyone encountered this before? We suspect we're running into some
kind of resource limit, but ssh not explicitely failing or logging
anything unusual is making this hard to debug. Follows a transcript of
an openssh 4.2 trying to connect and get a shell:

I suspect that your server is running out of ptys. Checking the server's
syslog should show errors if that's the case.

Depending on what vintage your Linux distro is you may need to mount
/dev/pts, add more pty device nodes in /dev or recompile the kernel with
more ptys.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: BOOT, HALT, RESTART, 1, 2, 3
    ... >> Didn't the 6000 series also have battery backed up memory as an option ... >> killed when VMS realised the LAT connection had terminated. ... terminals were more often connected via DZ-11 ... execution for any interactive session. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: BOOT, HALT, RESTART, 1, 2, 3
    ... >> Didn't the 6000 series also have battery backed up memory as an option ... >> killed when VMS realised the LAT connection had terminated. ... terminals were more often connected via DZ-11 ... execution for any interactive session. ...
    (comp.sys.dec)