Re: Connect with null passphrases

Hello,

we use ssh keys for cron jobs. The private keys used for connecting dont
require a password.

http://www.ssh3.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/adminguide/32/Public-Key_Authentication-2.html

John Stefani schrieb:

Hello Everybody,

I have some cron jobs that use ssh (version 4.4p1) to connect to other
servers and run certain tasks. The users in question sometimes are
real users, sometimes fictitious users that I created only for running
the cron job. I changed to *NP* the password field of /etc/shadow for
the fictitious users on the servers the cron jobs connect to, and all
works happily. Here's my problem: those servers to which the cron
job tries to connect to as a real user, who has a real password, does
not allow ssh connections with null passphrases. I can't set the
password field in /etc/shadow to *NP* because sometimes I have to
connect as the real user. Does someone know how I can connect
automatically to a server, using ssh, as a user that has a password,
but with a null passphrase? Hope the above was not too confusing...

Absolutely any thoughts or workarounds will be much appreciated.

John Stefani
jstefani _at_ yorku.ca

Relevant Pages

  • Connect with null passphrases (fwd)
    ... I changed to *NP* the password field of /etc/shadow for the fictitious users on the servers the cron jobs connect to, ... those servers to which the cron job tries to connect to as a real user, who has a real password, does not allow ssh connections with null passphrases. ...
    (SSH)
  • Connect with null passphrases
    ... I changed to *NP* the password field of /etc/shadow for the fictitious users on the servers the cron jobs connect to, ... those servers to which the cron job tries to connect to as a real user, who has a real password, does not allow ssh connections with null passphrases. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Connect with null passphrases
    ... accounts on the servers, rather than recycle real user accounts. ... I have some cron jobs that use ssh to connect to other ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Connect with null passphrases
    ... I have some cron jobs that use ssh to connect to other ... servers and run certain tasks. ... connections with null passphrases. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Connect with null passphrases
    ... Be sure to check that under the SSH server configuration for remote and local machines, the option regarding the use of SSH keys is enabled. ... I changed to *NP* the password field of /etc/shadow for the fictitious users on the servers the cron jobs connect to, ... those servers to which the cron job tries to connect to as a real user, who has a real password, does not allow ssh connections with null passphrases. ...
    (SSH)