Re: Connect with null passphrases

Hello,

we use ssh keys for cron jobs. The private keys used for connecting dont
require a password.

http://www.ssh3.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/adminguide/32/Public-Key_Authentication-2.html

John Stefani schrieb:

Hello Everybody,

I have some cron jobs that use ssh (version 4.4p1) to connect to other
servers and run certain tasks. The users in question sometimes are
real users, sometimes fictitious users that I created only for running
the cron job. I changed to *NP* the password field of /etc/shadow for
the fictitious users on the servers the cron jobs connect to, and all
works happily. Here's my problem: those servers to which the cron
job tries to connect to as a real user, who has a real password, does
not allow ssh connections with null passphrases. I can't set the
password field in /etc/shadow to *NP* because sometimes I have to
connect as the real user. Does someone know how I can connect
automatically to a server, using ssh, as a user that has a password,
but with a null passphrase? Hope the above was not too confusing...

Absolutely any thoughts or workarounds will be much appreciated.

John Stefani
jstefani _at_ yorku.ca