Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:04:02 -0500 (EST)
From: John Stefani <jstefani@xxxxxxxx>
To: secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Connect with null passphrases

Hello Everybody,

I have some cron jobs that use ssh (version 4.4p1) to connect to other servers and run certain tasks. The users in question sometimes are real users, sometimes fictitious users that I created only for running the cron job. I changed to *NP* the password field of /etc/shadow for the fictitious users on the servers the cron jobs connect to, and all works happily. Here's my problem: those servers to which the cron job tries to connect to as a real user, who has a real password, does not allow ssh connections with null passphrases. I can't set the password field in /etc/shadow to *NP* because sometimes I have to connect as the real user. Does someone know how I can connect automatically to a server, using ssh, as a user that has a password, but with a null passphrase? Hope the above was not too confusing...

Absolutely any thoughts or workarounds will be much appreciated.

John Stefani
jstefani _at_ yorku.ca

Relevant Pages

  • Connect with null passphrases
    ... I changed to *NP* the password field of /etc/shadow for the fictitious users on the servers the cron jobs connect to, ... those servers to which the cron job tries to connect to as a real user, who has a real password, does not allow ssh connections with null passphrases. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Connect with null passphrases
    ... accounts on the servers, rather than recycle real user accounts. ... I have some cron jobs that use ssh to connect to other ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Connect with null passphrases
    ... I have some cron jobs that use ssh to connect to other ... servers and run certain tasks. ... job tries to connect to as a real user, who has a real password, does ...
    (SSH)
  • User Signal 2 interruptions
    ... A group of Solaris 8 servers that I support are experiencing some unusual ... Initially, in the middle of cron jobs, a User Signal 2 message is ... $ uname -a ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Windows Gina
    ... On my servers that remember the last user focus to the password field, ... servers that do not remember focus to the username field. ... >>> focus set to the password field instead of the username when at the ...