where are sshd log files located?

Hi,

I am a novice user of openssh. I apologize in advance for my silly question
below, but recently I started having connection problems from my work
computer to home computer via ssh. I am trying to locate the ssh server's
log files but I don't know where they are located. /var/log/auth.log fails
to log my logging attempts from work. The error message that displays when I
try to connect from work is "Connection refused". I am able to login from my
laptop to the server within my home network. Yes, the server is behind a
firewall/router but port forwarding is enabled. Originally I was using the
port #22 for sshd, but because of numerous attacks from all over the world I
switched the server to a different port through sshd_config. I was able to
connect for a while after I made all these changes but a couple of days ago I
realized this wasn't the case anymore. I am also suspecting a block by my
work IT department. Is it possible to block my logging attempts from the
client (work) part?

I am using Open SSH 4.3 as the server and WinSCP (last version) as the client
at both my laptop and work computer. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Hakan

  • Re: SSH: remote login returns "invalid user"
    ... host mail.harlley-consultants.com ... server rather than web server? ... If they have the right server software running (mail, web, ssh daemon) then that software picks up the request. ... When you want to send mail to xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, your mail server looks up the MX record for hartley-consultants and sends it to port 25 on the machine pointed to. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: ipfw and nmap
    ... > even be correct but I have a bsd box that is simply providing me SSH ... add allow tcp from any to me 22 setup in via fxp0 keep-state ... Note too that there is nothing to prevent port scanners simply setting ... the 'SYN' flag in the probe packets they send to your server. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Remote Desktop directly to another computer on the network
    ... default port... ... And there is no reason for me to believe that ssh ... When I have a multibillion company I will use the key pair, ... WinSCP for that to access my home SSH server. ...
  • Re: need help for setting SSH Server for Windows XP
    ... In my windows firewall proper ports are opened. ... Changing from port 22 to ports 80, 443 also doesn't give any results. ... static LAN IP of the server PC. ... It is *NOT* a valid test to call the SSH server PC from another ...
  • Re: Port Forwarding -- Checking to be sure I understand it
    ... They run an ssh ... server and VNC service. ... If you want to run the tunnel over some port other than 22 (the ... restrictive firewalls that deny all incoming connections and block most ...
    (comp.security.ssh)