Re: How necessary is SSH_AUTH_SOCK?

Steven Elliott wrote:

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 11:11 +0200, Markus Friedl wrote:

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 12:17:17AM -0500, Steven Elliott wrote:

So my question is - Why doesn't ssh-agent default the location of the
socket file to some well known fixed secure location such

$HOME might be on a nfs server, so -a $HOME/.ssh/agent
is not the default.

How is having the socket file on an NFS server a problem? I know that
other applications do it, such as evolution / spamd:

I'm not sure that evolution do the right things.
Maybe ~/.evolution/cache point to directory under $TMPDIR where we can expect write access.
As example KDE directory ~/.kde/socket-localhost point to /tmp/ksocket-$USER/ and this is fine.