locale problem

Hi,

my client system is configured for UTF-8, which I do not want to
change. I need to work via ssh with a server (which is not under my
control), that does not support UTF-8. Obviously, I encounter the
problem, that 8bit characters are not displayed correctly. Neither are
8bit-character keyboard events processed correctly.

There is no use of setting the remote locale, since the server does not
support it. Is there a way of having an automatic client-server
character conversion depending on the respective locales?

If not, how can I post a feature request?

I am using ssh version OpenSSH_4.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005 (SUSE Linux/OpenSUSE 10.1).
The remote server is running sshd version OpenSSH_3.7.1p2 (Solaris 7).

Best regards,
Olaf

--

Olaf Schreiner

TU Berlin
DaimlerChrysler Automotive Information Technology Institute
Human Machine Interaction Group
Address: Sekr. FR5-13, Franklinstr. 28/29, 10587 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49 30 314 73171
Fax: +49 30 314 73623
Email: oschrein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Relevant Pages

  • Re: XP Client Cant Log In To Server After Initial Setup
    ... When I set up the SBS 2003 server, ... > reboot of the client system, the log in to the server with the domain ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Codepage of $_SERVER[]
    ... Please create this small file on a web server, ... If I force UTF-8 it prints ... request may arrive to the server with ANY percent-encoded codepage, ... it seems there is no way from server side to discover which percent-encoding was used other than testing in some strange ways ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: XP Client Cant Log In To Server After Initial Setup
    ... in this industry is gleaned from the help that we give one another. ... >> reboot of the client system, the log in to the server with the domain ... >> network from the local machine, I would be asked for credentials and I ... >> then log in to the server and browse the shared folders. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: mime charset problem
    ... This simply instructs the server to announce the ISO-8859-1 encoding for any page in a file with a name ending with ".htm". ... Try finding an authoring tool that can save data in UTF-8 encoding. ... In UTF-8, you can enter _any_ character as such, provided of course that your authoring tool offers some way of typing it. ... By the specs, and by actual practice, browsers will ignore the Ersatz when they get a real HTTP header from a server, with conflicting content. ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: mime charset problem
    ... now we can check that the _server_ announces the page as UTF-8 ... actual encoding, so that they match. ... This will be trumped by HTTP headers, ...
    (alt.html)