openssh: Enabling sftp, but disabling ssh?

Does anybody know if it's possible, using openssh, to allow file
transfer to/from a machine, using sftp, for a specific userid, and
disallow ssh login/remote command execution for that same userid? Other
userids on the machine should be unaffected.

We would like to create a user which has a home directory and r/w access
to a specific dropbox directory (possibly event make the dropbox the
home directory for the user). All attempts to play with /etc/passwd and
retricted bash have been in vain, and I haven't been able to see any
config options in sshd_config for it. No luck googling on it either--it
does appear others have tried this and in some cases have some kind of
hacked-up setup (partially?) working. I'm looking for a more standard
solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Mark

Relevant Pages

  • Re: openssh: Enabling sftp, but disabling ssh?
    ... disallow ssh login/remote command execution for that same userid? ... We would like to create a user which has a home directory and r/w access ... to a specific dropbox directory (possibly event make the dropbox the ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: openssh: Enabling sftp, but disabling ssh?
    ... What about changing this user's shell? ... disallow ssh login/remote command execution for that same userid? ... We would like to create a user which has a home directory and r/w access ... to a specific dropbox directory (possibly event make the dropbox the ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: irb login not reading irbrc file
    ... directory is my main folder for the user, i.e. my 'mac' house icon. ... The home directory is associated with your userid. ... Rick DeNatale ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • [SLE] Re: Re: Re: Remote X login
    ... > machine, but your home directory, userid, etc, would all be the same as the ... > upstairs machine, so it's somewhat irrelevant what machine you're sitting ... So, logging in via local gdm would log me into the local user, but with the ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: openssh: Enabling sftp, but disabling ssh?
    ... that same userid? ... Due to how SSH handles logins for sftp and scp services, ...
    (SSH)