Re: Tacacs and OpenSSH

On 7/27/06, Gary Schlachter <Gary.Schlachter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I know this question has been asked several times over the years
but I have not seen a definitive answer/solution if one exists. If one
does not exist or I need to develop one, then I can stop looking! I am
attempting to integrate a Tacacs+ PAM with OpenSSH. I would like to
have the PAM authenticate the User ID as well as the password. Thus the
users do not exist in /etc/passwd. I am not using NIS or any other
system for user ids. The Tacacs server is the only place the user ids
exist. Ultimately when the user authenticates via Tacacs, I will switch
the user to a known user in /etc/passwd and provide the logging in user
with a specific TTY interface via the shell. When attempting this on
linux with OpenSSH 4.3p2 compiled with with_pam and seemingly the
correct sshd_config options, I received the infamous

This is how I test

Make sure ldd to sshd shows pam library in the list

Modify the sshd_config file with the following two parameters

Syslog Fascility auth
Loglevel Debug

restart OpenSSH

touch a file /var/log/sshd.log.

modify the syslog.conf with auth.debug point to /var/log/sshd.log and
restart syslog.

Now ssh with your tacacs account and see if your tacacs server
receiving any connection logs from you as well as your
/var/log/sshd.log file.

If all fails I would ask the tacacs pam module developer about the issue.

Thanks in advance,
Gary

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Tacacs and OpenSSH
    ... So my TACACS pam is getting called with the incoming user. ... OpenSSH complains that the incoming user is not found but continues processing. ... My pam authenticates the incoming user and sends back the response to OpenSSH to prompt for the password. ... Obviously this fails from the TACACS server. ...
    (SSH)
  • 3.7.1.p1 with PAM and TACACS
    ... TACACS+ with no problems. ... put a sniffer and see the TACACS+ server being called so i know that the PAM ... I know that a bunch of work has been done on the PAM modules with this new ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • 3.7.1.p1 with PAM and TACACS
    ... TACACS+ with no problems. ... put a sniffer and see the TACACS+ server being called so i know that the PAM ... I know that a bunch of work has been done on the PAM modules with this new ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Tacacs and OpenSSH
    ... attempting to integrate a Tacacs+ PAM with OpenSSH. ... There's a patch that may help at ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (SSH)
  • Tacacs and OpenSSH
    ... I am attempting to integrate a Tacacs+ PAM with OpenSSH. ... I would like to have the PAM authenticate the User ID as well as the password. ... The Tacacs server is the only place the user ids exist. ... When attempting this on linux with OpenSSH 4.3p2 compiled with with_pam and seemingly the correct sshd_config options, I received the infamous "Invalid user" debug messages. ...
    (SSH)