Re: Port Forwarding - Firewall Traversal

Hi Scott,

The problem I personally noticed is dumb and obvious ;)
If your HTTP content contains not relative URLs, say index.html contains
something like <a href="http://server_hostname/foo";>bar</a> instead of
forgotten on the way... Such a bad HTML code not being yours maybe, you
may not be able to change it (proprietary web interfaces, aso)...

I agree that adding to your workstation /etc/hosts file the server
hostname in front of 127.0.0.1 may be the hack for this, but that's
going ugly and uglier and needs root privileges...

I agree also that saying HTTP is not port forwarding friendly is to
much, I should have said instead: bad HTML is not port forwarding friendly !

However, there is no such a problem using OpenSSH socks proxy feature
(-D port), but the option may not be allowed server side in Henry's case
(a Solaris system).

By the way, SunOS 5.10 ships with a Sun_SSH_1.1 which seems to actually
be OpenSSH looking at the usage and man (see Authors)... Is it ?

Regards,
Pierre

Scott Baker wrote:
I don't know about THIS situation as I don't know Oracle but port
forwarding HTTP (port 80 or even 443) is TOTALLY ssh port forwarding
friendly. The ONLY problems you might have are DNS, where the server
expects the request to say "www.foo.com" instead of "localhost" but
even that can be hacked with an edit in your hosts file.

I've port forwarded port 80 lots of times with SSH with no problems.

Scott

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ISA 2006 and Listeners Part 2!
    ... listeners for each service when the services are all HTTP based. ... forward HTTP traffic to the strandard web site listener. ... when I changed port forwarding for HTTP and HTTPS to forward to the new ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.configuration)
  • Re: outlook web access
    ... > what is the address to access the webmail from outside, for MS. SBS, is it ... > I have the HTTP server on the exchange manager started, ... > the same port forwarding done to SMTP is done to http and https; ... You firewall or the device that does the port forwarding. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • outlook web access
    ... what is the address to access the webmail from outside, for MS. SBS, is it ... I have the HTTP server on the exchange manager started, ... the same port forwarding done to SMTP is done to http and https; ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Need help with strange routing situation
    ... I recently switched to a new DSL provider, and in doing so, ... work" and won't require special port forwarding or other such nonsense. ... The server is the only thing connected to the DSL modem. ... Ideally I'd like to do this setup on the existing hardware. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Need help with strange routing situation
    ... I recently switched to a new DSL provider, and in doing so, ... work" and won't require special port forwarding or other such nonsense. ... The server is the only thing connected to the DSL modem. ... Ideally I'd like to do this setup on the existing hardware. ...
    (freebsd-questions)