Encrypt "identity" with aes256, not with des3: is ssh able to decrypt it?

Hi all!

Following situation:

as i generated my ssh-keys i noticed, that the encryption used to
store the private key set to des3.
So i saved the key using aes256, what succeeded without problems.

> cd .ssh

#Converted my dsa-key to plain
> openssl -in id_dsa -out key.plain

# encrypted the plain with aes256
> openssl enc -e -aes256 -in key.plain -out identity

# copy id_dsa.pub to identity.pub
cp id_dsa.pub identity.pub

The problem encountered as i tried to connect to a remote server, where
i placed my public key - the ssh seems to be unable to decrypt the key!

This is the output i got:

root@xen:~# ssh root@thor
Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/identity':
Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/identity':
Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/identity':

The password i used for testing was simple, so i have not
mistyped it, 100%-ly.

Who have an idea?

Heinlein Professional Linux Support GmbH
Tel: +49 (30) 40 50 51 - 0
Fax: +49 (30) 40 50 51 - 19

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Communication Device Protocols from External router directthrough Firewall
    ... TACACS is not. ... will get to SSH in a second)? ... or ACS should be on a DMZ ... Im sorry but why would you even say this as encryption between the firewall ...
  • Re: Alice Encrypts - Adacrypt
    ... plane by the fixed reference frame defined by the X, Y, Z, axes. ... seeding pairs comes next and developing these lines recursively to ... from v determines the plain normal to v and containing the origin. ... as her encryption transformation line for the current plaintext of her ...
  • Re: Encryption of printer files
    ... You have hit on one of the under-mentioned aspects of security. ... CUPS seems to have some encryption capability. ... through an SSH session. ... there is web-server based printing. ...
  • Re: Is it legal to serve up HTML pages through SSL to all??
    ... >> if you have a question related to ssh please post it. ... > Sorry if I posted to the wrong newsgroup. ... OpenSSL libraries for SSH and the simple fact that it is encryption. ... generate your own keys dynamically and avoid their decryption keys. ...
  • Re: Problem w/symantec firewall & SSH Tunnel
    ... having a firewall protects your system to a certain point, ... Although I've learned a LITTLE about VPN, SSH proxies and SSH tunnels, I was ... much less well encryption than the SSH tunnel that is provided, ... do not understand, and until I do, I should do everything I can to protect ...