Encrypt "identity" with aes256, not with des3: is ssh able to decrypt it?

Hi all!

Following situation:

as i generated my ssh-keys i noticed, that the encryption used to
store the private key set to des3.
So i saved the key using aes256, what succeeded without problems.

---
> cd .ssh

#Converted my dsa-key to plain
> openssl -in id_dsa -out key.plain

# encrypted the plain with aes256
> openssl enc -e -aes256 -in key.plain -out identity

# copy id_dsa.pub to identity.pub
cp id_dsa.pub identity.pub
---

The problem encountered as i tried to connect to a remote server, where
i placed my public key - the ssh seems to be unable to decrypt the key!

This is the output i got:

--------------
root@xen:~# ssh root@thor
Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/identity':
Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/identity':
Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/identity':
[CTRL-C]
root@xen:~#
-----------

The password i used for testing was simple, so i have not
mistyped it, 100%-ly.

Who have an idea?

Thanks!

Vladimirs.

--
Heinlein Professional Linux Support GmbH
http://www.heinlein-support.de

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Communication Device Protocols from External router directthrough Firewall
    ... TACACS is not. ... will get to SSH in a second)? ... or ACS should be on a DMZ ... Im sorry but why would you even say this as encryption between the firewall ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Encryption of printer files
    ... You have hit on one of the under-mentioned aspects of security. ... CUPS seems to have some encryption capability. ... through an SSH session. ... there is web-server based printing. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Alice Encrypts - Adacrypt
    ... plane by the fixed reference frame defined by the X, Y, Z, axes. ... seeding pairs comes next and developing these lines recursively to ... from v determines the plain normal to v and containing the origin. ... as her encryption transformation line for the current plaintext of her ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Is it legal to serve up HTML pages through SSL to all??
    ... >> if you have a question related to ssh please post it. ... > Sorry if I posted to the wrong newsgroup. ... OpenSSL libraries for SSH and the simple fact that it is encryption. ... generate your own keys dynamically and avoid their decryption keys. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Problem w/symantec firewall & SSH Tunnel
    ... having a firewall protects your system to a certain point, ... Although I've learned a LITTLE about VPN, SSH proxies and SSH tunnels, I was ... much less well encryption than the SSH tunnel that is provided, ... do not understand, and until I do, I should do everything I can to protect ...
    (comp.security.ssh)